Monday, September 29, 2014

MLB playoff format a bust or boon for Miss Congeniality?

I've been too busy this summer to blog much, but I certainly have enjoyed the baseball action right down to the final day’s no-hitter.  For most people, the love of the game has many layers and for me, it starts with the simple play on the field as I enjoy any baseball game, regardless of the context.  As we prep for the playoffs however and I stepped back to take a look at the MLB big picture, it’s my opinion that the playoff format, now in its second year, is NOT working - these “pennant” races s-t-i-n-k, STINK!  In 2013 and 2014, in only four out of twelve division races did the second place team finish within five games of the top.  Not only that, but the other eight second-place teams averaged a whopping 9.5 games behind!  As a result, an almost silly amount of everyone’s attention turns towards the watered down “wild card” races involving just a couple of teams competing in a virtual standing across divisions.   I mean, Miss Congeniality might be pretty and all that, but does she have to be the center of attention? 

I have to say that it feels like a bit of a bait and switch by MLB - on the one hand we were promised more excitement down the stretch as more teams remained in contention for the post season, but the result has been almost the opposite.  I have to confess I don’t have the answer as there’s a lot of number crunching to be done to consider the optimum number of teams in each division and the balance of the schedule, but I have to think baseball has some guys in high paying jobs to figure this out.  I’m not sure how long it will stay like this, but since inter-league play has chipped away at each circuit’s identity, perhaps it’s time for a total league and division realignment.  This will rankle traditionalists, but I argue they should be rankled by what we have now.

Additionally, these single elimination wild-card games are an attempt by MLB to have their cake and eat it too.  Sure, the plan was to sell you the idea of more playoff teams, but since the season is widely considered to be too long, there’s no time for a proper playoff.  In my opinion, the one-gamer is a gyp!  In a way, a one-game elimination is as unnatural to baseball as a shoot-out is to hockey or placing the ball the twenty yard line in football.  Let me explain - traditionally, the measure of the best baseball players and teams is how they perform over time. The best hitters can go 0-5 any night and the best teams can put up a stinker, but over the marathon season, the cream rises to the top.  Come playoff time, while there have been examples of teams falling flat in an entire series, it will generally showcase team strength v. team strength.  One crew of starters or relievers may tip the scales or another team’s power or speed might make the difference, or it could be something else - eventually one team's biggest weakness rears its...what?  Ugly head?  Leave it up to one game and these team-strengths or personalities, if you will, won’t necessarily show up.  In my opinion, it makes for a lesser product in the end.  This means the team that wins might not really be the better team which you might say belies the beauty of sport, but again, I’m making the argument here that baseball is different than other sports – it’s not about one game.


That said, in the past, the one-gamer has been reserved for the final face-off between division rivals who ended the marathon season tied, and that is a different story.   Those elimination games act essentially as the final game of a fifteen to twenty game series and don’t seem as random as two cross division teams rolling the dice for one game.  Heck, you could even say those games are unnecessary because if a team has played a division rival 19 times – an odd number – why isn’t the season’s head-to-head results not the tiebreaker?  (and I could have been spared the whole Bucky Dent thing as the Yanks took the season series 8-7 in 1978 over my Red Sox).  Ok, I take that back.  We're better off with those one gamers - I know, I know, there’s a lot to do with business and commerce and players unions and TV ratings and such…I get it.  I just don’t like one game playoffs in case I didn't mention it.

Jim Tosches is an amateur umpire and blogger in Encinitas, Ca and author of the book, "The Rules Abide: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Baseball Rules (With History, Humor and a Few Big Words)"

CLICK HERE TO SEE REVIEWS AND PREVIEW BOOK   (eBook NOW ONLY A BUCK, Paperback $11.69)

No comments:

Post a Comment